Thursday, November 30, 2006

childhood reading


Booking Through Thursday

  1. They say that books read as a child make more of an impact on a person than books read at any other time in life. Are there any books that you particularly loved, that shaped the way you think when you were little? I'm not asking if you believed in fairies then but don't any more. I'm asking about patterns of thought, morality--something that made an impact.

    I am a child of the 1950s, and my memories of books reflects it: Cinderella and Little Women come immediately to mind. I remember reading lots of Bobsey Twins and then later, Nancy Drew. Lots of fairytale books, too, mythology and folklore. I think my favorite author in my teens was Francis Parkinson Keyes. I read everything of hers that I could find. I discovered Kahlil Gibran in highschool. I still own many, many of the books from my childhood

  2. And, of course, examples, please!

    I was, and perhaps still am, a fantasy girl. Led a sheltered life even up until college. I still tend to live in my own little world. But, I basically quit reading pure romance a long time ago... just too unrealistic and too predictable, like they were all written from the same outling! I haven't looked at a FPK book in ages; I might not care for her now. However, I still love mythology and fairytales. Perhaps because there isn't always a happy ending, eh?

  3. Also, did you read this book/these books more than once? Many times? Even if that's not a usual habit of yours?

    Yes. Yes. And, yes, it is definitely a habit of mine, as is revisting places I love rather than traveling to some place new.

No comments: