Tuesday, November 07, 2006

getting paid for this? cool

    First, I hope everyone exercised their right to vote today -- but only on issues/folks they knew something about. Doesn't make much sense to poke around in the dark, eh?     I'm still reading about bibliographic control, and trying to stay awake, and not getting those nagging little things accomplished that everyone has to take care of on new job. My work email still isn't set up. I thought they would do it this afternoon (I had a problem, well, I didn't really, but I thought I had a problem concerning the password for my student account), but they didn't. Unfortunately, discovering that I didn't have a problem involved walking halfway across campus (after first going to where I thought the tech service office was only to learn it had moved). Then I walked just as far to get lunch (and back to work). And then, to the other side of campus after work to deliver an application form. Plus climbing up and down the stairs three times each way.     I'm not really complaining, really. I have been missing the walking I would get to do on campus going to classes. This was just not a great day to do so much of it, as I did not sleep well last night after all.     On a (very) positive note, the welcome meeting with the department head was pleasant and helpful. My co-workers are friendly and helpful. And my workspace is shaping up. I take a few personal things each day. And this afternoon I rearranged the computer setup. The department head said I could have whatever kind of keyboard and mouse I need -- I was very glad to hear that as I was hunting up my old trackball this morning without success. And I loved my old IBM Natural Elite, so I'm hoping they can find me something comparable. Now if I can just figure out how to adjust the keyboard tray!     When I couldn't sleep early this morning, I worked on the blue/green sock. I have stopped working on the light/dark green one until I get the remaining yarn weighed, but I wish I had thought to bury the ends of the gold scarf! Oh well, Scarlet, tomorrow is another day.     Pictures. I need some pictures on my workstation walls. OH! Everyone remarks on the Tibet photo I use as my computer background. It is so peaceful. Very meditative. Although I used an UDLA background while I was in Mexico this summer, as soon as I returned, the Drigung valley went back up.     Even though I am too tired, I know I must go get something to eat. I must make sure it is not something that is going to keep me awake tonight, though. I will be glad to move from sitting and reading to actually doing work. My hands and elbows are aching -- which reminds me: I need to wash my Hand-eze gloves. Both pair are embarrassingly dirty!     It's always something. Thank goodness, cause as Methos said, "The alternative is unthinkable."

2 comments:

Rissa said...

Oh, getting settled into a new space. That is the best. Over time I tend to collect a lot, by the time I left UMMC, I had boxes and boxes of stuff. In fact I have one in the living room that I have not unpacked. LOL

Mary Anne said...

It takes getting used to any new environment but it sounds like you have a team of supportive people to work with, so that help. That unsettled feeling will hopefully fade away as you get more involved in your work. I hope you get some restful sleep at night.