Wednesday, November 22, 2006

tangled webs

    Do you ever get to wandering through the internet, or blogland, then forget later how you found something or got somewhere that *now* you want to return to? Happens to me all the time. All. the. time.     Like the November calendar photo posting by Deb at Chappysmom. I saw it before I started my new job, and the first time I saw the calendar hanging in the employee lounge, I thought about it again. Of course, I only today remembered to take a photo of it:
along with another November calendar page of a co-worker that is just so pithy....
Burnout: Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
    Now, Deb's blog wasn't on my reading list (is now), but I obviously got there from somewhere and I didn't know if I could find it again. Fortunately, I stumbled across another reference to the calendar photo event tonight and... oh, nevermind (I'm too late posting my photos anyway). The point is, Deb states on her blog that her library has 2,797 books!     My first thought was how close I could get to that number if I took time to count, then my eyes fell on the next line in her sidebar: "Number unread: 27" !!! She's not kidding with her nickname, bookworm.     And actually, I'm still not to my point... farther down in her links is one to Booking through Thursday. Turns out that Deb is half the team, Laura being the other. Yes, it is a weekly meme site, but as a library employee and a future librarian, I think I will start following this one.     For this week, they didn't really present any questions, so I'm going to back up to the last two, which were related.
    Reading List - Part 1
  1. Do you keep a list of books to read? Several, actually.
  2. Where do you keep your list (computer, PDA, paper, etc.)? I keep a small spiral book in my purse. I also have several Excel files on my computer and my PDA. Then there are all the little pieces of paper that I accumulate working at the library. Just before I went to back to work, I was trying to get all the little pieces of paper transferred to the PDA. There is still a small pile hiding on the desk under the laptop.
  3. How often do you refer to your list? Every time you go for a new book to read? When book shopping? Or? As I carry it with me always, you would think I refer to it all the time, but I don't really. Still you never know when you'll come across a great used bookstore and need to know the title of that illusive book you need to complete a series -- or begin one! My list is more of a shopping or reference list, and it comes out often when I am strolling through the Big Box bookstore or preparing to research for a paper or class.
    Reading List, Part 2
  1. So, last week we asked you if you kept a list of books that you're interested in, wanting to read, wanting to buy, etc. This week, we want to know--do you keep a list of the books you've READ? Regrettably, no... perhaps I'll begin one. Problem is that I start many books, or read parts of books, more than I finish.
  2. If so, how? In a journal? A notebook? On the computer? I think, that having MS OneNote on my computer I would probably use it, but then again, I'm just anal enough to want to do so in an Excel file. A hand-written journal would certainly be something to treasure, though.
    I took photos of my poor little bare workstation today, too. Will post those shortly. Right now, it's past my bedtime, holiday or no.

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

Thank you for the the links and the beautiful calendar/poster photos. I hope you've had a wonderful Thanksgiving long weekend. and yay for all those days off at Christmas!