Tuesday, December 12, 2006

half an hour?

    Even though I know from studying sleep facts and behavior that losing a half hour of sleep a night WILL have an effect, like most people, I've been ignoring this truth. I have been sleepy-headed on the job for days, especially the last two. So much so that last night, I gave up and headed to bed at 9PM -- one half hour before I usually do so.
    This morning, I was bright and chipper, and alert all morning (the mid-afternoon sleepies are just a fact of our inner rhythm that few can escape, but mild for me today). But the idea of going to bed every night at 9pm, when I don't get home until 5:30 or 6PM, just makes me so sad. Perhaps when the daylight is lasting longer I won't mind so much. And I think that after the first of the year, I am going to cut my lunch break to half an hour so I can leave at 4pm...
    Sorry I've been absent. I'm just too sleepy to do much of anything lately. And speaking of sleep, my DH finally has an appointment for a sleep study to do something about his OSAS (Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome). Yay!

2 comments:

Rissa said...

I was constantly sleep deprived when I worked. Ben goes to sleep later and wakes up earlier than I do. I definitely feel better with adequate sleep, even if it is a little disrupted. I get up at 7 to take my meds and let the dogs out, then I go back to sleep on the sofa. :-D

Mary Anne said...

It makes sense in the winter months that we would need more sleep. I know it seems unfair when you have so little time in the evenings, but if it helps you feel more chipper the next day, go for it!