Wednesday, October 04, 2006

once a beadaholic

always a beadaholic.
    There were three listings for bead shops in the Saint Augustine yellow pages, only one of them still in business, Yo Ho Ho Beads, right in the Old Spanish Quarter. Really nice woman. I was sorely tempted by some of her finished pieces. But, only succumbed to the purchase pictured above. These treasures came from a shop by the center of town, Cool Beads. The shop was not listed in the yellow pages, but had ads in the tourist brochures. Poor man. The city is tearing up the street in front of his shop and his business was suffering already. They had only been working on the street for a week, but it will be at least three more weeks before the road is open again. Beadaholics will still search him out, but his curious foot traffic and impulse buyers has dried up for now. At least it is the slow, off-season -- then again, that actually makes it worse.     I believe most of the above are stone, not glass. The wavy purple and shell-shaped green are definitely glass. I usually buy odd numbers of beads, and only buy two of something when I am planning earrings, or end embellishment. The two silver items on the far left are end/bead caps. And the strand of turquoise is for a neckpiece to go with a pendant I bought in Mexico this summer.     If I could ever get myself organized, I could get some beading done! So many passions, so little time. Cynthia

1 comment:

Rissa said...

OHHHHHH.....AHHHHH! Yum! I am so jealous. LOL If you ever go out to Dallas with me, I'll have to drag you out to Bally Beads.