Monday, October 16, 2006

the day flew by

    It is hard to believe that it is not even 6pm. I've had such a busy day. It didn't start out so well: I left the house with my hair still wet, planning to get a hair cut. But I forgot Jason takes off on Mondays. So I looked pretty scruffy all day. And OMG! It is so steamy-warm here in MS today! Stormy, overcast, and WIN-DEE! Which didn't help my unstyled hair.     Major event today was a doctor's appointment. He wanted to follow up on the results of my blood tests from last month, specifically because, while my blood glucose seems to be in good control, my cholesterol has not come down like he had hope. The total was 231, the LDL was 160, and the HDL was 53. High cholesterol with diabetes increases my risk of heart complications, so he wants those high numbers lower. My HDL has always been good, but I worry about it now that I am pre-menopausal, so it was comforting to see that still in the good range. Other good news with regard to cholesterol, is that both kidney and liver functions are very good. So, he put me on Vytorin in a two-prong attack that is also less risky for side effects, and I'm to come back in three months. The office had a starter pack that got me a 30-day supply for free today from the pharmacy.     I actually didn't see him except when I was leaving. He has a new NP in the office, and she did the work up, consulting with him. I like her. It has been a while since he has had an NP. He had a really good PA for a while, but she left for other pastures. I have missed her.     I did my grocery shopping while waiting for the prescription, then went by the library, the bank and paid bills on my way home. I forgot to pick up the pictures before I left WM, and unfortunately there wasn't time for a pedicure/manicure. Perhaps tomorrow: dental appointments for us both, eye exam for DH.     The best news from the blood tests though was that my AC1 was 5.9% ! That is down from 8.7% in July. And my blood glucose this morning after eating was 95. He got me one of the Accu-Chek monitors the company provides and wrote me a script for the strips. I got home early enough to get the mail-order form and all my new/renewed scripts in the mail this afternoon.     DH arrived home just as I was walking back to the house from putting the mail out, we brought in the groceries and then, both of us hungry, headed to town. We had a quick and early dinner and are home, and it is not even 6pm. Sort of feels strange. Now, I hope to relax, watch a bit of TV, and work on my Swallowtail Shawl tonight.     I stitched on it driving to Bogalusa on Sunday for lunch, and tinked it on the ride home. I stitched while waiting to be called at the doctor's, then tinked it while I waited in the exam room! I just can't seem to make much progress with the Misti Alpace. I was zoomin' with the fingering weight wool, so it's frustrating.

4 comments:

Rissa said...

Seems like everyone has hyperlipidemia these days. I hope the Vytorin does the job, but regular cardio exercise is also a good idea. :-)

Is the glucometer the kind with the before and after meal results?

Anonymous said...

When we get back from Richmond, I'm either going to join the PRCC Wellness Center, or be sure to get to the Payne Center twice a week. I've been lazy about exercise ever since I dropped my classes.

The meter is an Accu-Chek Aviva. I know that it keeps track of readings. The NP said the Dr likes to scroll through the log, but she would appreciate it if I would keep a written log (a booklet for doing so comes with the unit). Haven't finished reading the user's manual yet.

I only have 10 strips right now, and I doubt my supply will come before we leave, so I probably won't do much tracking until after we get home.

Mary Anne said...

Good to hear your blood sugars are down. The cholesterol issue seems to be so common. I hope the drug you are taking works well for you.

Lisa Dunn said...

I am so glad your tests came out so well! I hope the meds work for you.