Tuesday, October 03, 2006

25 & 5

    Yesterday was our 25th wedding anniversary. Today we returned home from a quick celebratory trip to one of our favorite places, Saint Augustine, FL.     It was supposed to be a surprise for my husband. We had talked several months ago about going, then dropped it. Last Thursday, I checked reservations again, and rooms were still available. I really wanted to suprise DH... but a series of interruptions (albeit pleasant) and delays on Friday kept me from getting everything done that needed to be done. So, later that evening, I had to tell him the plan. We finished packing, went to bed early and were on our way east by 8am on Saturday.     I am notorious for falling asleep on long drives, but I actually managed to stay awake for the trip. I knitted almost the entire way. We arrived early in the evening, before sunset. When it was time to leave this morning, we were both considering staying another day -- so we got on the road quickly! On the ride home, I slept more than knitted.     We had good food and good weather. We wandered through the historical district and drove along the ocean. We met wonderful peeople, both locals and visitors. We did a bit of sightseeing and some shopping, though not as much as we'd have liked as many of the stores and restaurants were closed on Monday. It is the "off" season, but there were still too many people around on Saturday night and Sunday morning to suit us!     The hotel where we stayed has been bought by the people who also own the Hilton just a block away, so we may not be able to afford to stay there next time. They are planning major renovations. We love it because it is right on the bay and very reasonably priced. A simple place, but convenient.     I'm a bit of a rare bird: a Florida native. My family moved to Maryland when I was 14, but part of me has always hoped to live there again. When I was a little girl, we sang this song in school: I want to wake up in the morning where the orange blossoms grow. Where the sun comes creepin' through my window peepin, and the songbirds sing "Hello!" I want to wander through the orange groves... (forget this line) so I'll make my home in Florida, where the orange blossoms grow.     The "&5" in the title? I gained five pounds. Oh, well. Back to work. Speaking of work. There's another library job posted. Won't get it, but I applied anyway. Cyn

2 comments:

Rissa said...

Sounds wonderful, I am glad you had such a nice trip. As for the five pounds, I am sure you will lose it just as quickly.

Anonymous said...

I do seem to fluctuate 3 to 5 pounds rather easily. I am going to try to drop a bit more before seminar though. Thanks for your continued encouragement, my friend!