Thursday, September 21, 2006

triple play

    I've always been a big fan of Half.com. I buy most of my textbooks and often other books through it. In August I purchased four textbooks and two other non-fiction books, all from different sellers. Only ONE book ever arrived. The no-ship sellers never responded to email inquiries. Today I logged on to file claims and learned two distressing facts:     1) Only one claim may be filed per month, and only three total by any buyer -- forever (unless there are some kinds of special circumstances, upon which they don't elaborate). Oh, and of course, you only have 60 days from purchase to file said claim, and you can't file a claim until 30 days after purchase. "You do the math."     2) Three of the four sellers (the fourth purchase is only $6 but these three are for textbooks and total over $200) and no longer registered members of eBay/Half.com! That tells me there's probably nothing they will be able to do for me anyway.     This is really the first time I recall being burned by a half.com seller in all the years I have shopped there. And now four times in a single month!     So, first I emailed Half.com customer service. But I don't really expect to receive any help. Then I called the bank to ask how to file a dispute. They said once the dispute is filed, they will "temporarily" credit the amount back to me, but depending up on the investigation, that amount could be debited again. Oh joy.     Happy Thursday! Cyn (who is taking the GRE tomorrow morning at 8:30CDT)

1 comment:

Lisa Dunn said...

That really sucks! There certainly isn't much protection for the buyers, is there?

I never got my Inspirations magazines from the Green Fairy Trading Comapny either, so I disputed that charge tonight. Fortunately I put it on my credit card, and they are much easier to get things taken off than a debit card. I have never understood why there would be a difference.