Friday, September 22, 2006

let red be the color of warmth

    Several years ago an online friend of mine told me how for one month every year she dedicates herself to charity knitting. It's not that she doesn't do charity knitting any other time of the year, but for one month everything she knits is for charity. (I believe she did this in January.)     What got me thinking about this was my blog reading yesterday. One of the links in my blogroll is to "Knitting for Change." Another is sweet Mary Anne's "Miss Woolly Knits." On these two blogs I found entries about and links to the Red Scarf Project. Thinking it had to do with either the American Heart Association's Go Red or the National Health Institute's Red Dress initiatives, I checked it out. But it isn't about that kind of heart disease.     This is an outreach project of the Orphan Foundation of America for college students who have "aged out" of foster care. Specifically these scarves are to be included in care packages for the students at Valentine's. If you are a Lily Chin fan, you'll find she is part of this project and has created this pattern. (A Google search for red scarf project patterns turns up more patterns.)     Stopping by Mossy Cottage Knits yesterday as well, I discovered that the Dulann Project 2007 has just launched. This one is close to my heart, as it goes hand-in-hand with my own effort, KniTibet -- soon to be relaunched.     You'll see that the sidebar has been updated to include buttons for these two worthy projects. Cyn

No comments: