Saturday, September 23, 2006

my 1st KAL

    I was wasting time tonight, clicking through an old folder of blog links (and finding about half of them gone) when I found, on Bronx Girl Knits, a link to a knit-a-long for the shawl I began last week. Actually there are two KALs -- I read through all the posts for each, but not all the comments.
    I doubled-checked my own blog and discovered I had not mentioned beginning this project. Sorry.
    It's the Swallowtail shawl in the current issue (Fall 2006) of IKnits by Evelyn A. Clark. While I await the arrival of the called-for yarn, Misti Alpaca, I started one with some lace-weight natural wool on a cone which I bought a couple years ago. The knitting, like anything that grows by eight stitches every two rows, goes fast at first. Now it is 200+ and going a bit slower.     It's funny that yarn isn't here yet. I bought the Regia Stretch from the same lady, and the alpaca should have been on its way a couple days later. Perhaps my email didn't go through.     A few days ago I set the shawl aside to work on the short toe socks. (Also, I had finished the small amount of yarn on one cone and begun working from the much larger full cone.) Working on the third pair today. I'll finish the one I started on the way to supper tonight, then work some more on the shawl again tomorrow. Oh! And I mistakenly stated that Sockotta was cotton. Well, it is, partly. It is a 40% cotton, 45% wool, 15% nylon blend.     Thesis? What thesis?? Cyn

4 comments:

Rissa said...

I am so not a KAL kind of gal...but I think it is a cool idea for someone other than me!

Mary Anne said...

What a beautiful shawl to knit on and how wonderful that you found a KAL. Sounds like you have a lot of sock projects on the go also.
Forget the thesis :)

Anonymous said...

well, it's nice to know if other people are struggling with the same parts you are, or get advice, and to see all the different ways one pattern can turn out. only a few people are using the recommended yarn. some are making a larger version and shared the new numbers. :) guess you aren't much for book clubs either?? LOL

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I can't forget the thesis. :( I can't seem to write except under deadline pressure anyway! My biggest worry about the shawl is finding room to block it.