Sunday, December 31, 2006

one last meme

Year's End Meme by yours truly. I promise no more than one meme a week in 2007!
1AM: Did you make resolutions for 2006? Did you keep (any of) them? Sort of: “If I was going to make a resolution for 2006 it would be that I would make time for the important things.” My unwritten resolution is always to be more prompt with bill paying. I have made progress on that, thanks to auto-payments though, not my own efforts.
2AM: What New Year traditions (celebrations or superstitions) did you keep in 2006? None of the food ones, and we never stay up til midnight unless it is by accident. We sometime go to friends' early in the evening, but usually stay home. I suppose the one superstition I always follow is to do a little bit of everything on New Year’s Day that I want to do all year. Thanks, Mom.
3AM: Was there anything you did in 2006 that you had never done before? Bunches! Never been to Mexico or climbed a pyramid; never tried to spin wool or knit on two circular needles; never gone to a university commencement or applied to grad school.
4AM: How many calendars do you display/use? Where and what kind are they? There are always at least two displayed in our house, but like Rissa, my most used one is electronic. Mine is in my PDA. At work I use the Outlook calendar feature a lot, but I need to ask for my iPaq software to be added to my work computer so I can sync my desktop and PDA calendars. I like to have pretty calendars around, too. Have a cat weekly engagement type on my desk at work, and one where each month turns into a file folder for bills/receipts/etc. at home. I buy the pattern-a-day knitting calendar just for the patterns, but I may take it to work this year so my knitting co-workers can enjoy it too. I like those moon phase calendars but haven't seen one in years.
5AM: What is the most important lesson you learned in 2006? You have to work hard at being compassionate, and keep doing it every day.
6AM: Which color would you chose to represent 2006? Gotta reason? Turquoise. It's a calm and peaceful, yet intriguing color. It has mystical properies and it just plain makes me happy to look at it. Funny, though, I don't wear it often.
7AM: Of what are you most happy you accomplished in 2006? Knuckling down and getting the diabetes under good control.
8AM: What was the worst thing that happened to you in 2006?Having an emotional breakdown in the middle of the Mexico City International airport. It was a pretty good year really.
9AM: Did you renew or restore a relationship in 2006? I continue to try to accept my father's marriage and wife. I make a little progress each year.
10AM: What candy would best describe 2006 to you? Dulce de Leche, in honor of my study abroad adventure.
11AM: Where you more or less healthy in 2006 than the previous year? Am more healthy now than at the beginning, so would have to say more healthy than 2005.
12PM: What was the best change in your life in 2006? There are actually two: being diagnosed with diabetes and going to work full-time. My life is more structured, my financial situation more secure, and my post-grad education will be covered by employee scholarship – “future’s so bright, I gotta wear shades!”
1PM: What is your greatest regret from 2006? Going to that upstairs bar in Puebla to watch the last game Mexico played in the World Cup was not a good idea. But mostly I regret that my mother did not live to see my college graduation.
2PM: How did you celebrate your birthday in 2006? Hmm… had to check the blog to remember. I was pretty sure I dined with family and friends. I was right.
3PM: If 2006 was a member of your family, which member would it be? I have a small family. I guess I'll say #2Son: full of potential, procrastination, and some how everything usually works out just fine.
4PM: If you could, to which one day in 2006 would you return and why? The day I decided to pursue the second major. I wouldn’t. Then I would have graduated in May, still taken the trip to Mexico but under less stress, and blown off the two minors. Of course, the whole job/grad school-thing would have worked out differently. Eh. S’okay this way.
5PM: Did you fall in love in 2006? With whom or what? Yes, Mexico & Hispanic culture. Am trying to figure out when I can take DH and go back. But I'm also falling in love with Tibet. Heading there first, and taking DH this time, first time!
6PM: What is the most significant thing you read in 2006? Seems everything I read that His Holiness the Dalai Lama says/writes is significant. Reading newspapers and magazine and blog articles while in Mexico, from their perspective, aided by the cultural understanding the professors gave us was certainly important to developing a less USA-centric view.
7PM: Did you take a vacation in 2006? To where? Mexico in May/June; Richmond, D.C., & Silver Spring in October. Oh, also Saint Augustine with DH in October. Lovely year for travel.
8PM: What did you lose in 2006 that can never be recovered? Time and opportunity.
9PM: Do you believe you are a better person at the end of 2006 than you were at the beginning? Yes.
10PM: In your opinion, what was the most memorable world event of 2006? Silliest: the proposed 700-mile fence along the Mexico border. Scariest: Iran and North Korea's build up of arms and nuclear capabilities.
11PM: Are you glad or sad to see 2006 end? I’m always glad to see a new year begin. I like beginnings. Change is good. I try to be a forward-looking person most of the time. I’m not usually happy with out at least a half-dozen things coming up or going on in my future.
12AM: Have you made (or will you make) resolutions for 2007? Will you be able to keep them as well as those you made for 2006? I’ll make a few more; I’ll keep few more, I hope.

3 comments:

karin said...

Hey, Cynthia! This is a great meme. I'm working on my answers now, and it's really making me think about this past year.

Isn't it interesting that something like finding out you have diabetes can make your life better? My dad was diagnosed w/ it this year, too, just over a month ago, and already his life has changed so much for the better.

Rissa said...

Very thought provoking. But why only one meme a week? LOL And WHAT are your resolutions? You are more likely to adhere to your goals if your write them out. Was that Sparky enough for ya? :-P

Anonymous said...

Only one meme on the blog cause, just cause. Makes me make REAL entries. :D
Resolutions always posted on Jan 1. Stay tuned, Sparky!