Monday, December 25, 2006

christmas finally

I'm really NOT into Christmas.
    I just wrapped my gifts this morning--for those who I will see today--few as they are.
    I *do* love shopping for gifts for people I love. And this year I've been lucky enough to know what I wanted to get almost everyone.
    What I don't like, and don't do well, is getting gifts in the mail to family living back in MD/WV/PA areas. I still have last year's gifts sitting unwrapped in my living room. And not for the first time.
    I know my sons, at least one of them anyway, get disappointed that we don't really have traditional celebrations. Last year the tree only got about half decorated, then stayed up for months because I can't handle the parts and no one would take it down for me. This year, I didn't even want it put up. I took my Hallmark miniature tree to work; now it sits on top of the television, decorated, but unlit.
    The one tradition we almost always keep is for Christman Eve. Pizza and riding around to look at lights. Only the pizza places keep closing earlier and earlier. This year we, rather #1Son, had to drive 25 miles for carry-out and it was too rainy/foggy to ride around looking at lights. Perhaps tonight.
    I don't get in a hurry to have an early dinner. Usually we have Christmas supper. It gets simplier every year. This year just turkey, bread stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, some steamed vegetables and salad... I won't be having stuffing or potatoes. I won't be making sweet potatoe casserole (too much sugar, and we now eat sweet potatoes quite often). Rodger may make apple pies later on. Don't know if I'll raid my pecan stash to toast a few or not.
    Every year we talk about going away for Christmas "next year," but so far we haven't followed through. When my dad goes off to LA with his wife to spend the holidays with her son's family, I can't bring myself to leave my sister alone. Plus, we don't want to fly, and haven't taken the time yet to find a good place to be over the holidats that is close enough to drive. (Suggestions welcome!)
    So... now we wait for the bird to cook, and watch some TV. Need to help DSis with her computer. Wish we had some good movies to watch tonight. As appalling as it is to me, I have movies due to Blockbuster today -- can't believe they are open -- so, just might ride down there and get something to watch. (I remember Christmas in, oh, mid-1970's when I was married to the Texan, we went bowling on Christmas!)
Good day for everyone!

1 comment:

Rissa said...

Well, we got out to walk, but we never got anywhere near the car. I am surprised anything was open. One of my first memories of Mississippi was coming here for my brother's wedding in 1976. Everything was closed, except for the hotel! I was just 10, but it made a real impression.