Monday, August 28, 2006

disappointments loom

#1 trouble meeting requirements for the religion major.     Well, I thought I had checked and double-checked, but it turns out I am a couple courses short of the core requirements for College of Arts & Letters. Now if I'm very lucky, I can wrangle the substitutions, but there's a REAL good chance that I'll come up two courses short. #2 false advertising.     Ever since my friend, Laura (in DC), wrote that she is buying a Toyota Prius and I then saw the MPG, I've been toying with the idea of checking them out. Then yesterday, driving home from Sunday dinner, hubby says, "Maybe what I should do is buy you that car and I'll drive the truck." Well, what he was talking about is a cute little blue convertible PT Cruiser at the local Chrysler dealership. But I told him if he was really serious about buying a car, we ought to look at something with better gas mileage. Of course the PT is about $5K less than the Prius.     So, last night I got online and found the local Toyota dealers and checked for Prius in stock. Bunches came up, so today I drove over to the lot on my break and lo, and behold -- NOT ONE Prius!     First, the salesman acts like no, there aren't any listings online. Then he says they are what are coming in to dealerships all over the area. THEN he says that those are all sold. BY.NOW.I'M.GETTING.PISSED.     Which is it? Available or sold?? I do not like to be given the run-around. I do not being treated like I am stupid. And I do not being lied to. "Guess you aren't going to sell a car, then." As I was getting in the car to leave, he asked, almost as an afterthought, if I wanted him to find out when one was due in. "No, if you can't be any more honest than that on the website, I'll just buy something else."     Then, my son was admonishing me for "yelling" at the salesman -- which I wasn't-- for blaming the salesman for something that wasn't his fault -- which I wasn't... it is Toyota's fault, but at that moment he was the representative of the company and that's part of the job to take the flack for what the company does. AND beside, I was very nice.     You have to wonder if it (buying a vehicle to save on gas) is really fiscally sound anyway: car payment (AND interest), insurance, tag registration,(and in MS) ad valorum tax. There goes your savings at the gas pumps for how many weeks? Years??? So, Laura, good luck with your purchase. I think TPTB are telling me it's not the right vehicle or not the right time. LC p.s. To be fair, I went back to the website () just now. The (only four now) Prius are marked as "available," and the footnote indicates that "A status of 'Available' means the vehicle is available to the dealership from a virtual pool of vehicles, but is not on the lot. Please contact the dealership to confirm vehicle availability." So WHY didn't the salesman know that??

1 comment:

Lisa Dunn said...

Oh no! I hope you can make up those classes. That is very disappointing to you, I know. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Don't feel sorry for the salesman. Sounds like he was either very dishonest or very lazy, or maybe both. Because if he REALLY wanted to help you (and make a sale) he could have gone inside and found more info for you, or said we can get one from wherever. So, to quote Rissa, "pfft" on him! :o)