Sunday, June 27, 2004

Our favorite NASCAR driver was, well, actually, still is, Awesome Bill Elliot. Unfortunately he is not driving this year; I hesitate to say he has quit altogether, but that is probably the truth of things. We miss seeing him on Sundays. We just have to pay attention to the other 'good guys,' like Dale Jarrett.... so, notice the new graphic next to the moonphase image? It is also a link to the Race Fans for a Cure website where you can get merchandise for donations -- which are matched by Ford Credit -- to the Susan Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. Fan & matching donations along with bonuses Ford contributes based on Dale Jarrett's pole and finishing positions have raised over $1,000,000. Seems I'd heard of Jarrett's association with this, but today he was driving not his main sponsor's UPS scheme car, but one covered with pink ribbons. The Fox Network announcers made some remarks about Race Fans for a Cure and, so, I went surfing, of course. And popped that pin graphic up there for ya'll. Remember a few entries ago I mentioned Nip/Tuck. Well, before the next episode (Tuesday @ 10pm EDT), I wanted to get caught up on the storyline, so, again, I went surfing. One of the most likely-looking hits, near the top of Google entries, turned out to be a parental television control group site, which has apparently been successful in forcing ALL the previous advertisers for this show to pull their spots. For the premire of the new season, there is only one advertiser supporting the whole show: XM Satellite Radio -- I'm tempted to purchase and subscribe just to spite the stupid PTC. One of the things that peeves me the most is their logo banner, "because our children are watching." What the heck kind of people let their children watch a show CLEARLY intended for adults, in a time slot when children should be in bed?? The problem, imo, is NOT with the show, but with the parents. Am I the only one who finds it ironic that they had extremely detailed synopses of every episode? Not only are they upset about the sexual content of this show, but also the graphic nature of the surgical procedures. Well, of course! Isn't it oh-so-much-better to gloss over the trauma of cosmetic surgery like The Swan and Extreme Makeovers??? I have a feeling they don't boycott or write letters to Discovery Health channel about the graphic nature of the surgeries they broadcast. So, I popped back there tonight, used their link to XM to send a support email, and the one to thank sponsors who bolted as an opportunity to tell PTC how silly I think they are being about this. Sorry. Enough of the soapbox.... The Sons and I attended orientation and fall registration at the college yesterday. I finished before them and joined the other waiting parents. Pulled out the baby blanket and got a couple color stripes finished while chatting with the moms before the boys joined me. At least the rain held off while we walked around campus. I think we'll all three be adjusting our schedules online in the next couple days though. Today is hubby's birthday. He got free dessert at the Mexican restaurant last night, but, sadly, there weren't enough waiters around to sing (oh, and we learned our little waiter is headed off to the military soon). Today I actually cooked: meatloaf. It rained (AGAIN) off and on all day (AGAIN). So tired of the rain, but I guess I shouldn't complain. Does make it difficult for hubby to mow yards though. For now, back to Ancient China, Confucius, Daoism, Legalism and all those wacky emperors, kiddies - by the way... little kitty nero seems to have developed a habit of, um, getting his jollies with my blue afghan... any one have any advice? LC

No comments: