Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Back-to-school Update

Not much of one though, really. Lots going on, but not much being accomplished. (Oh, how often do I sing THAT song!) On Tuesday, our plan was to head to USM early to meet with a very nice young woman in Admissions with whom I spoke first thing that morning. We had terrible storms and I couldn't get to my friend's house to use her FAX to send my transcript requests until after the worst had passed, so it was after lunch before we got to the college. I took along my transcripts; she made copies. Though I had completed an online application, it was missing information, so I had to complete a paper one, too. Then she sort of sent me on my way, telling me to call at 8am this morning to see if the FAXs from my requests had arrived. I was a little confused. It finally became clear to me that because I did not have anything from the University of Maryland, where I attended for part of one semester and withdrew, I could not register for classes. Some state law (I found that out today). Now, my transcripts are likely all archived, and so getting them takes longer. In fact, at UofMD it will take from 7 to 10 days. So, part of me is thinking that I'm not meant to take any summer classes. The other part is kind of upset. I mean, I understand. Sort of. How sad is it that they "can not just take [my] word for it" that I was not suspended or expelled, nor do I owe them money? Rodger laments that things are just too darn complicated. But, with simplicity can come limitations. With those irritating complications can come the options that make impossible things possible. It's a trade-off. My decision -- "lack of planning" -- at the last minute does not "constitute an emergency" for the people who provide the transcripts, right? Those who know me well can imagine what kind of emotional mood I was in this afternoon. I've been trying to find a silver-lining. And here is what it might be: the fact that it is apparently quite common for an LISMA *not* to have LIS as their BA major or minor! I already know that I will need an MA to really find a good position, and that is the general plan: to finish my undergraduate degree, and then get the master's degree. So, I went *back* to the catalog -- even checked the other college in the area -- to see how the numbers would look if I finished the psychology program that I began way back when. The picture is much brighter. More of my classes appear to work, and there are fewer have-to-have core requirement classes that I don't have right now (and would take more money and time than I had hoped to need). Going back to a BS in psychology takes off the schedule: a mandatory 18-hour minor 12 hours of foreign language 6 extra hours of history 3 extra hours of English 3 extra hours of Social Science Instead of needing 72 more hours, I could need as few as 66 (the extra 6 history and 3 English hours are offset by additional psychology course requirements)! Then 19 of my lost elective hours would actually count toward degree hour fulfillment instead of only 9. I think I like the freedom of choosing what more of my hours will be in the PSY BS than being dictated to by the LIS plan. I've probably not figured it all the way they will... the fewer of my hours they apply to degree requirements, the more they can force me to take there, the more money they make, right? Too cynical? Hmm.... we'll see. The low-down is that I never got to talk to the person who handles the archives at UofMD, so I don't know when my transcript will get to USM. I called Dad to see if perhaps he might have some old record of my withdrawal -- since he paid for it. I don't expect him to find anything. I was so ashamed of the whole ordeal I probably trashed the grade report and any other withdrawal paperwork I might have had years ago! The Admissions Counselor suggested that I go to Registrar, pick up and add-drop form and go to classes anyway next time it meets, explaining to the teacher that I am going to be in the class as soon as paperwork arrives. I'd *really* like to talk with an advisor before I start picking classes -- but there are a couple things I *know* I'll have to have no matter what, so I guess that's where I'll start. I can even limit the days I go to campus to two days a week -- a 'good thing' in these days of high gasoline cost. Going to bed; another early day tomorrow, LC

No comments: