Tuesday, June 08, 2004

And then there were five*

I happen to be a 'fan' of this president; you may not be. That's fine. I don't rag on anyone else; I hope to receive similar respect. I don't usually talk about politics with friends; mostly because it can, like discussing religion, cause hard feelings and disagreements. Still, we are about to experience in this country something which has not occurred for 30 years: a state funeral. It broke my heart when President Reagan disclosed he suffered with Altzheimers -- I'd feel the same for Bill Clinton, ironically, simply because I'm rather tender-hearted. I wish I could post a photo, but it's not right to take one from the news websites or remotely link. At the US Today website is this photo-essay. And if you would like to vote there, too, about putting Reagan on the $10 bill, you can do that here. One of the happy things I like to remember is that, because of him, we have the BLUEBERRY Jelly Belly jellybean! According to the Jelly Belly Candy Company: "Three-and-a-half tons of Jelly Belly beans were shipped to the White House for the Inaugural festivities. Blueberry, one of the most popular current flavors, was invented especially in honor of President Reagan's inauguration so he could have red, white and blue jelly beans at the festivities." Yikes! I sound so 'clueless.' Honestly, I do remember the BIG things -- but today, this week, I just want to think about the person. And pray for his family. No matter how difficult daily life was for his family, no matter how much they may have hurt to see him so changed, I know from experience, they would still rather have him with them yet. You never get over losing a parent. You never stop missing them. I'm sure it is even moreso for a beloved spouse. LC *living presidents: Carter, Ford, Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr.

No comments: