Monday, May 31, 2004

Need a little hand holding

[I posted this on a forum I frequent -- well, not so much lately, but my sweet beady-sisters are mostly all there -- seemed easier just to cut & paste it here and edit a bit than retype it all again.]
Those of you with whom I have been emailing lately, or who read my blog, know that my two sons are entering their junior year of college in a few months. I'm excited for them, envious even, embarking on this new part of their life, and at the same time, a little sad. I didn't think I'd have any 'empty nest' feelings, but I guess someone reading this might say that is what is going on..... Over the years I have thought often about returning to college to finish my BA. Usually I didn't give it any more than a thought: too expensive, too far away, too much to do, too much work - - I was working hard enough raising twin boys! However, in the last few years, I have considered it more seriously. Then about two weeks ago I had a dream that I did it. Since then I've been trying to find my transcripts (hoping my old GPA was higher than I suspected, LOL). Yesterday evening, frustrated that I still hadn't found my paperwork, I opened the university catalog and started looking at degree requirements. It was early this morning when I put away the pencil, paper and book. I didn't stay long in bed though. I was up unusually early for me, cleaning house and trying to decide what to do and how to go about doing it. Just now I finally found the last of the transcripts. My suspicions were right -- shouldn't have goofed off so much that last semester! I'm ready to submit my application and have the faxes ready to send for transcripts. My worry is that everything is TOO OLD. Does anyone know about things like this? Tam and I were IM'ing earlier today, and she encouraged me (of course!), saying perhaps the fact that I did already have a degree (Associate of Arts for my two years) would be to my advantage and there would not be any time limit on the value of my credit hours. So, while I fidget until the morning when I can call Admissions and get some answers, I ask that if you think of me in the morning maybe that will not only help my nerves, but be enough positive energy for everything to work out nicely. I went about 24 hours without eating overnight and today... which I shouldn't do because it plays havoc with my digestion, and anxiety has a habit of triggering other unpleasant conditions. I've been nervous about telling/asking dear husband... I hardly got the words out of my mouth, "What would you think about me going back to school," "GO FOR IT!!" he exclaimed as I finished, "if it doesn't cost too much?" "Doesn't matter," he said as flatly as I've ever heard him say anything! That was a great relief. What a sweetheart! I feel better getting it all said. If you read this far, thanks bunches and here's something just for you! I'll write about the knitting later, maybe. LC

No comments: