Thursday, May 20, 2004

Envy

Took #2Son on a campus visit today. Small college - 1800 students; beautiful campus - 120 acres; great scholarship offer - up to $5300/yr; large dorm rooms - NON-coed. I was surprised when he said he wants to check the larger university too. Their non-scholarship cost is a bit more than the one we visited today (less scholarships), and the course requirements differ just a bit. It's up to him. But I know which one I'd choose! Yup. I envy my sons. Here they are, 19 years old, headed off to their last two years of college, away from home... a brand new phase of their lives just beginning. Shoot, yeah, I envy them. And for all the headaches and heartaches to come for them, I wish it was me. Problem is, of course, I'd want to know what I know now! I was thinking today about how I seem to feel sad a lot more in the recent years. Is it part of getting older? Think about how many times older folks look so sad. I wonder how often it is wishing to be young again. To have it all ahead instead of behind. We humans do seem to get more out of anticipation, than achievement sometimes. As for that, it is even true with knitting and such. The planning and accumulating yarn, pattern -- and time! And then the UFOs begin to pile up. Unfortunately, I had to drive today -- what a lot of wasted knitting time. I've gotten really spoiled having hubby drive everywhere. Am trying to keep working on the blanket while I read KnitList, and anxiously awaiting my hemp yarn. The bad news is that I think I left the cable for my digital camera in Maryland, so I can't get pictures from it to my hard drive! Guess I'll have to see if a replacement costs more than it will to mail the forgotten one to me. LC

No comments: