Sunday, March 18, 2007

suddenly, it's spring

    The azaleas have gone from a couple of blossoms at the bottoms (i.e., protected) of the bushes, to full-blown, full-bloom... and gorgeous! The "for-cynthia" (as my friend, Ann, calls forsythia), the pear trees, the red-buds and the dogwoods are all just beautiful. Of course, everyone's allergies are kicking in, too.

    I was up very late last night messing with an Excel file as part of a project for my collection development class, so I slept in a bit this morning. Once I was up, I found myself in the book-room and on the floor organizing some of my mom's cookbooks. For severals years before she passed away, she had subscribed to the Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks. There are a couple of issues missing (Oct '01, Oct '99, Feb '96 & Mar '96), and apparently Dad had renewed for a multi-year subscription not long before she passed away, because I have them through the end of 2001 (Mom died Dec '99).

    It was like spending the morning with Mom... we always spent a lot of time when I visited looking at cookbooks and magazines, and watching food/recipe shows. She had marked interesting items with the little bookmarks that were a perforated part of the subscription insert each month. Every once in a while, I would find one with the subscription insert still in place; it would make me think that perhaps she'd never gotten to look at it. Maybe she was too sick, or maybe it just got mislaid.

    But, it wasn't a sad time, really. It brought back happy memories of our times together. And it kept me away from the computer, where I had too much repetitive-stress action on my right hand and wrist last night! This short post is the only time I've been at the keyboard all day... but my wrist is still hurting. So, I'm heading to rub it down with something analgesic and go to bed.

    #2Son is here with me tonight, but I left DH at the sleep lab tonight. I wish I had taken a photo of him all wired up for the tests. Tomorrow, I think I'll check eBay for those missing issues.

2 comments:

Mary Anne said...

what a nice way to remember your mom.

I hope your hand and wrist feel better soon.

Rissa said...

Now I realize why I should have known about the sleep lab stuff. Glad you have good memories...and they are keeping you off the new idiot box for a while.