Wednesday, February 07, 2007

not broken

only sore . . . but, not as sore as I'll be tomorrow!

    Klutz that I am, I tripped up the stairs going back to work after lunch today, and fell very hard on my right knee. Lucky for me about SIX professors were there to witness the graceful display. At least three of them have had me as a student. And amazingly, my carry-out box and drink landed flat. Right-side up.

    I hobbled back to work and took a quick detour to the ladies room to check for bleeding. Only a bit of scraped skin, and some already evident swelling in two places on the knee. Later, my hip started aching, so I dropped the height of my chair. It did help; I have one of those angled foot-rest, too.

    Mid-afternoon, Rissa (a former state employee) pointed out that as it happened at my place of work, it really should be reported as an accident. Well, I did, and within about 15 minutes (or less!) they were shuffling me away from my desk to the main office of the library to make a report, and then sent me off to an "immediate care" clinic. It was after 5:00PM when I headed home.

    The x-rays showed no fractures. The doctor seemed unconcerned about the hip pain (?!?!?), got me a knee support, and told me not to stand for long periods, not to climb or squat, and to take Ibuprofen or Aleve. Report for work tomorrow. Well, at least I didn't have to pay for the visit or the support.

    The nurse showed me how to wear the support, and I was surprised as I walked to the car how my knee really didn't hurt with it on. Great! Until I tried to get in my truck. Had to take it off to drive. May have to get #2Son to drive tomorrow.

    Hubby waited on me all evening. But then, he often does; he is such a sweetheart. I should have done some classwork, but haven't. I'm trying to stay up a little bit later tonight. The last two nights I have gone to bed at my usual time or a bit earlier, but have slept poorly, waking up very early in the morning and not being able to go back to sleep. Also hurting in my shoulders . . . I think that might be from the cold, so tonight should be better. We are finally getting nicer weather. At least for a few days.

    Knitwise, I have actually been knitting during my breaks lately. The second blue sock is almost the same length as the first, and I will be able to work them together soon. I'm really liking the pattern and the yarn. I plan to photograph them on my feet soon. Maybe I'll give you a peek at my lovely knee support, too.

    For now, you'll have to settle for this:

3 comments:

Mary Anne said...

Cynthia,
I hope you are feeling a little better today and your knee is healing. I'm glad you were taken care of properly.

Rissa said...

I like that Buddah. I am glad you filed an incident report and I am glad you are doing better with the brace. :-)

Lisa Dunn said...

Ouch! I'm glad you are okay, and that you didn't seriously hurt anything. It is always so embarrassing to fall in front of someone, and if it is someone you know, that is even worse! LOL

I'm looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. :o)