Friday, July 29, 2005

right place, right time ? ?

    Like Jerry Jeff, I 'got lucky' today. During this last weekend visiting with friends, I guess my mind slowed down enough to realize that trying to do a double-major is foolish. I actually only need 27 hours to graduate, and I can do that over the next two semesters. So, I fired off a couple emails and did some pencil-paper figuring to see if I will be able to pull it off.     I realized I would have to take my major department's 'senior capstone' class and my senior thesis class at the same time (spring semester) to graduate in May. Wasn't sure this was do-able, thus one of the emails. The reply informed me that thesis was a nearly year-long process. This set me worrying. After class this morning, I dropped by the Honors College to talk with the advisor. Nice woman. Smart. Bright. Enthusiastic. And helpful! (That's not to say my other advisors are not --- um, well, except they are men.)     The bottom line is that she will substitute the research methods class (required by my major department which I took in the spring) for the prospectus class, and I don't actually register for the senior thesis class until the semester I graduate -- which I can set as August and still 'walk' in May (or wait until December)! What I have to do now is get things set up with an advisor and start working on my prospectus.     And just when I'm feeling great about all this, that little demon creeps up and whispers in my ear, "Too bad your so old. Why didn't you do this 30 years ago? You look so foolish!" I try hard to ignore him. It is easier some days than others.     So, it looks like my break will not be so free of 'school work' after all. I need to refresh my espaƱol before I go into 201. And also do some research before talking to the professor I hope will be my thesis advisor.     But I'm STILL going to read some books *I* want to read, and knit, and get hubby to do some long overdue honey-do's. Oh, the next three weeks are gonna fly by, aren't they ?!?!? LC

1 comment:

Rissa said...

Tell that little demon to shut-up. :-) I am glad you have a plan and that it won't be as nettlesome to you. I hope you all get to enjoy the time off just a little. Get some reading done and practicar Espanol con un DVD (with subtitles). Hey, do y'all have SAP on your dish network? That would help too. Of course, the easist way is to go eat Mexican. If you come up for the monthly meeting, use Ben as a resource. He loves any chance to speak a foreign language. ;-)

Oh, and I am still willing to come down and help with the honey dos. Seriously!