Wednesday, July 13, 2005

tidbits

    Perhaps it might be a good idea to mention knitting for a change.     Just before I went to Jamaica with the university international studies program, I cast-on for Lanaknits' Stripes Go Round top (Summer 2004 Interweave Knits magazine), using their hemp yarn. As of now, I have about eight inches of the 14 required for the torso. I'm fighting strong temptation to begin something else! Something soft 1and fuzzy and warm -- but it is still much too hot in Mississippi to think about that. However, other than remembering the color sequence, it is mindless knitting. Great for riding, waiting, and laptop reading -- too bad Microsoft Reader's voice program is so poor. I'd get lots more knitting done if I could 'listen' to Malory and Twain instead of having to read them.     I had my first wireless experience today. There's a nice coffee shop across the street from the university that provides free wireless to the customers. Wish I'd been going there every week this term during my break between class and work! I'll bet it is much busier (and noisier) during the regular terms. We'll see. But the manager is really helpful, and the coffee is excellent.     Finally got to see the season opener of Monk. "George" needs to stick with "Jerry" -- on the whole, I thought it was disappointing. Here's hoping Friday's episode with John Turturro as Monk's agoraphobic brother is better.     Two-plus weeks left in the term -- then two blessed weeks of no classes. That means time to read what I want to read!! Not sure how much time off from work I'll get though; will probably have to fight the urge to pick up extra hours. LC

No comments: