Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Rio's Dancing Every Day!

Perhaps an auspicious day to begin a BLOG: my dearest friend in all the world, my mother, passed away four years ago today.

 
 As usual on the anniversary of her death (and other days around and about it), I (imagined I) smelled cigarette smoke in the wee hours of the morning... she passed about 2:30 a.m., 12-09-1999.

It has been cloudy all day, raining a bit now and then. I'm glad I put out new flowers at the cemetery for the holidays a few days ago. I'd burn a 24-hour candle if it weren't a city cemetery. Town 'father's might not like that. :P

So... of course, I've been rather blue today. Had a quick call from my sister this a.m., before she left for work. Haven't talked to Dad though. Guess I should call... but what to say?

On top of this, I am still disappointed from a futile attempt to get to a dancing class last night. Drove the hour+ to get there, was late in the first place, then couldn't find the place. Yes, there's always next week, or even next month. It just seemed very serendipitous that it worked out for last night (full moon, Mom's passing, the Ren Faire on Saturday, finding the instructor via the internet on Sunday, her e-mailing me promptly about the beginners class -- I was excited to be beginning something new).

Life always comes down to choices. I chose to fiddle online yesterday afternoon, so I didn't leave until 2:15 p.m. Had no way to reach hubby to let him know, so I stopped by where he was working to tell him in person. Part of me wanted him to drive me; part of me wanted to do this alone. Then I chose to wander in Wal-Mart looking for 'exercise' clothes and other things... soon it was 5:15 and I hadn't gotten my nails done yet.

Now, I know it takes a good while unless I walk in and there's no one there. I should have driven on to the class and been way early -- but I didn't. Went to the nail shop, and it was 6:15 p.m. when I was done. The drive I thought would be 25 minutes was actually 45 -- I was way late. It was dark, and the address was in a part of town with which I was unfamiliar. After driving up and down the street four times, seeing parked cars and lights on in one building, but being totally unsure and, for some reason, anxious about being alone, I headed home. Totally disappointed. Maybe mostly in myself for being so timid.

Silver lining was, it was a lovely night for a drive. The moon was full and bright, I had good old rock 'n roll on the radio and almost no one else on the road. A pleasant surprise when I arrived home: hubby had made luscious spicy chili for supper. It turned out to be a good evening, except for the torment of my fingers reacting to the nail overlays.

It gets worse every time. I was using cortaid like it was hand cream and finally had to down a couple of Benedryl -- which of course, really knocked me out! I slept all morning (after going to bed in the wee hours... something I've been out of the habit of doing lately, thankfully, but is typical for a night when my mind is centered on Mom). The fingers only itched a little through the day, but I just took some more Benedryl as the irritation is increasing again.

I hope to stop by the doctor's tomorrow for him to take a quick look. I do hate to give up my nails. Then it's off to pick up the new Litter Maid box I bought off of eBay for our growing family of felines. Found a few Christmas presents today -- at the Dollar store -- after another wonderful meal at our favorite Mexican restaurant, El Mariachi's! Cute trousers for the grand-daughter & grand-niece, and a special goodie for my Beadie Secret Sister.

It is way past time to knuckle-down and get organized for Christmas. The new, 9-foot, pre-lighted tree is assembled and in place, the ribbon trimmings are bought, but I just haven't been motivated to make the bow topper and streamers yet.

Perhaps tomorrow. 'Til then (or later tonight).... LC