Saturday, December 13, 2003

Numb Bums & Yum-yums

Went to Jackson today for the monthly EGA (Embroiderer's Guild of America) meeting. I was late; we couldn't leave home until the storm had passed. Stopped for a soda on the way. I managed to dump a huge cup of fountain 7-Up on the floor. Fortunately not much splattered on me. I felt so bad that the clerk had to clean up after my mess. I'm such a clutz. Hubby, in his Santa Hat, of course, gave her both the girls a big candy cane. Funny thing about the meeting was that most of us were knitting! I finished Lisa's scarf on the drive up. During the meeting I seamed up the blue boa cap I finished a week or so ago using the free pattern on the yarn lable. I like it because it just stretches out and stays there on your head without feeling tight. We discussed what project to take on next. Looks like a canvaswork Petite Project called Spring Landscape. Not my favorite technique, but the group likes canvas so it's time we did one. Not enough time to kit it for January though, so Rissa will let us sample Boutis. The meeting broke up a bit early. Yummy cookies provided by Janet (Buckeyes, sugar cut-outs & some kind of powdered-sugar covered apricot/coconut one), and lively discourse all around, capped off with a delightful supper at Outback Steakhouse with our friends, Rissa & Ben. Best steak I've had in ages and a huge baked sweet potato! Word of warning: don't drink the water in Jackson. ;0 Knitted more on the way home on Mandy's Fun Fur scarf. I only stopped so I wouldn't run out of yarn before getting the fringes cut. Checked out the knitting books at BAM while waiting to go to supper. Celebrity scarves caught my eye. I love the one Daryl Hannah(?) did: wrapping the ribbon yarn twice around the needle every few rows and then dropping it on the return. Will have to try that with this skein of Patons Twister I bought. Also thumbed through a Christmas Stocking book, shaped like a stocking. Cute approach. Will watch for it on eBay or order online from BAM. Didn't buy either book though, just two magazines. To home in the misty rain to more of Food Network's holiday shows. BAM! The Christmas tree decorating is progressing in stages. Got the top bow and streamers (white & gold wired ribbons) done yesterday morning. Looks very nice to me so far. Took Lisa's scarf to my mirror and tried to see how it would look. HORRIBLE, is how!! The weight of all that yarn, and the large stitching (15s) has resulted in a piece that is twice the width I planned! It is more like a square than a rectangle. And the corners droop. Will NOT do, will not DO! I had the whole thing, 20+ hours, ripped out and the new first row cast on in less than 15 minutes, and have had to start over again already. How depressing. I just keep concentrating on what I think I needed to do to make it work. Needless to say, it will be much later when I go to bed. We have a house guest tonight, of the two-legged variety. LC

No comments: