Saturday, October 02, 2004

more grades

    I've had three exams since Ivan roared through just east of us -- he surely did me a favor: two of the three were postponed a few days giving me more study time. How very egocentric of me.     Yes, two of them were the ones I was whining about last week, Personality Psych and Comparative Religion. And I did as well as I hoped and better than I thought, getting Bs in both. For some reason 19/25 isn't the C my calculator says it is -- but you won't see me arguing it with the professor! I think I'll know how to do better on the next one... same with religion. I hope. Still, I'd rather write more completely on fewer items than have to rush through and do a poor job on more questions.     The third exam was Spanish. I had hoped (and sort of expected) to make an A and I did. A low one, but still, pretty good for first test (which are apparently standardized throughout the department -- now *that* seems like compulsive micro-management to me).     Today has been weird. Wyrd, even. Slept late, felt sleepy all day and dozed a couple times... started to go to bed because I was sleepy again, and discovered it was only 8:30pm! This will not do. I have studying to do. I have knitting to do. I have yoga to do. I have pleasure reading to do.     And the good news of late is that half.com isn't closing after all, so I have many, many books to add to my inventory.     Which leads me to the bonanza we found last night at a local salvage-type store: about half the stock of a Books-A-Million store from Florida at 40% off! I put back most of my selections after DH found high-quality coveralls -- he's a true hillbilly at heart and I lurve him -- at about 75% off retail, as I do try to budget our foray's into "Treasure Hunt," especially when I can just as easily get from the library about a half dozen of those I decided not to buy.     One of the books I did buy is "Mindful Knitting: Inviting Contemplative Practice to the Craft," by Tara Jon Manning. Have only read the preface and introdution so far. Another one was a slo-cooker cookbook DH wanted, and another a gift for Son#2.     I'll be going back in a few days to plunder some more. I'm hoping to find Christmas presents and also a GRE preparation guide, just to get a feel for whether I could do well enough to make it worth my time. LC

No comments: