Sunday, October 31, 2004

Conclusion: Never try to use the 'magic scarf' pattern(s) with a fuzzy yarn. I was in a store across from the campus last week and saw a fuzzy scarf. One of those tube-types that you can pull long and skinny or open up and wear like a hooded cowl. I stood and counted (approximate) the number of stitch around, thinking I would make these with my Patons Cha-Cha stash as Christmas gifts. Before I began I did some looking around online at the various patters for something like this. I estimated about 100 stitches in the one I saw in the store, but it seemed way too big, and so I backed down to the 68 stitches found in an online pattern. First note to self: always use odd number. To be fair to myself, however, I didn't intend to drop the stitches... I thought it would just... well, never mind. It didn't. Second note to self: don't use cable cast-on. I'm on my second one and still haven't determined the perfect cast-on for this project. Long-tail with one yarn-over between each cast-on stitch is not it... I'm leaning toward invisible with two yarnovers between each loop for the third attempt. As my conclusion, my solution is to drop those stitches as I go. When I was tediously dropping the stitches in my first attempt, wonder wasn't the process basically the same as adding a yarnover between each stitch and then dropping it on the next row? So that's what I'm doing on this second try. It does, however, take more attention than just knitting away and then dropping the stitches, i.e.,: *k, yo, drop yo from previous row.*. I believe the key is a mantra, of sorts. Either "stitch, wrap, drop," or "wrap, drop, stitch," being sure to double check that you are always stitching into a knit-stitch and dropping a yarnover!! It is sort of 'loosey-goosey' and the first couple rows are the most tedious, but seems to be rolling right along now. Biggest problem is finding a 'safe' place to stop/put it down! And what I'd really like to know is how the one I saw in the store can be so, so skinny with so many more stitches?? Will update with success or frustrations. Happy Halloween to everyone! LC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a decent pattern for a week now since a friend showed me the one she bought in a local gift store...where did you find the pattern online? Thanks
lisathunderbolt@coastalwave.net

Anonymous said...

well, lisa, I never did really find a pattern online that seemed to work like I wanted it to. One problem is that I think the yarn in the ones we buy is much finer than, say, Fun Fur's foundation. And I think that is why I can't get them as skinny/long. So, since they are so cheap, I buy when I want a long one, and make other style scarves/hoods/shawls with my own yarns. Sorry I can't be more help. Perhaps check the Yahoo knitlist archives? Happy knitting!