Thursday, January 01, 2004

Hello to 2 0 0 4 ! ! !

Tradition (or, some may say, superstition) in my home growing up was that New Year's Day should be a snapshot of the whole year to come. In other words, do all the things on that day that you hope/need to do that year. Mom always made sure to do a little of those 'have-to' things, as well as the 'want-to' things. I've always pretty much followed her way. So, each New Year's Day, I try to cook a little, clean a little, and definitely stitch a lot! I put a few more rows on the socks. The DPs still feel awkward, and twice I've grabbed the wrong needle to 'work' the next portion. Yikes! Fortunately, the stitches stayed put. We ran to Ryan's to eat -- I just didn't feel like cooking New Year's dinner. I'd forgotten to get groceries for it on Wednesday anyway, then we stayed up until 3am this morning, so it was easier just to go out. Fine with me, of course!! Took care of those Southern New Year's eating traditions: pork, cabbage, & black-eyed peas. Bad news is that it looks like I'll be tinking this year too. Last night at a friend's house, I missed a row of the pattern in the scarf I took to work on. Had to rip out all those rows today. boo-hoo Well, back to the scarf. I can't believe something so simple is taking so long. It would be twice as long (and therefore finished ) if I didn't keep having to tink. Once it gets long enough, I think I will work from the other end of the ball and see if I can get a beanie out of the remaining yarn. ... enjoying the scent of bayberry candle (another family NY tradition) LC

No comments: