Thursday, August 16, 2007

tired eyes and fingers

 Whew. I just spent all morning scrolling through (to make it sound simpler than it was) over a thousand bib. records looking for a particular kind of editing error. It should have been only half that many, but about 400 into it, I discovered another type of mistake I needed to be sure was corrected. (To get way too specific, I had to check the 440 and 490 MARC tags.) I found three errors of the first type I was looking for, and about a dozen of the second. How distressing. Just when I think I am improving with all this pre-ACCR2 updating. Not so good for the fingers either.

 Remember this? Well, I found one 'catch' on my bank statement a couple days ago. The $27 magazine subscriptions carry a $10 "shipping charge" each. Cancelled all that this morning.

 Classes begin next Wednesday. I'm trying to add a second graduate class, but it is full at the moment. I don't know whether or not they will let me add it if someone drops out early. Waiting for a reply from my advisor.

 While I'm talking library stuff, I want to brag a little bit about our library staff. One of the librarians here has been chosen for the Newberry Award committee for 2009. That may seem odd: it's a children's book award, and we are a university library. However, we have one of the largest collections of children's books in the country (and hold a national children's book festival each year on campus). She's getting a little exasperated at all the local attention, so I won't link to photos or include her names. She is a dear lady, though, and mother to one of the students on our trip to Tibet this last May. I'm happy to know her, and pleased at the honor for her.

 On the knitting front, I've only got about 6 more rows on the second lily-of-the-valley pattern section on the Swallowtail shawl, then I can begin the last pattern section. I hope it is easy to remember... I'll be glad to be done with the nupps. (Except that when I'm done with this one, I think I will pick up the sample one I began in white wool before my MistiAlpaca arrived. I don't remember them being so fiddly with the larger yarn though.)

 Since I still haven't taken a photo of my shawl, I'll post another Tibet photo.


This is about the highest point I climbed at Drak Yerpa. Of course, there's no feeling of height from the photo. You'll have to click on it and get the big size if you want to find my face among the prayer flags.

No comments: