Friday, May 11, 2007

new roof

Yes, we finally have a new roof -- only four months shy of the second anniversary of Katrina. And I finally transferred to my computer the two photos I took with my iPaq the day after the workers started. Hubby has photos of the finished product on his 35mm, which I will post after they are developed. I think they worked four days on it -- hip roofs take are a little fiddly.

It is a metal roof, the color is "clay" -- kind of a green-gray-tannish color. I did find a paint which should match exactly... or as exactly as paint chips ever match. The actual color of the roofing is not as dark as the sample chip from which we made our selection, but, thankfully, not as light as the "stone" color. The family across the street also went to a metal roof post-Katrina, but their's is WAY to light in my opinion for their brick color. The color of ours seems to tone down the darkness of the browns in our brick and highlight the mortar, giving an overall lighter appearance.

Anyway, here are a couple shots (both are linked to larger images):

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The first time we had a really good, hard rain, Son#2 expressed his disappointment that it didn't "sound" like he thought a metal roof would sound. I agreed, though I wasn't disappointed: just the idea that it would be noisey was one of the reasons I didn't really want one. He knows what a metal roof is supposed to sound like from sleep-overs at his grandparents years ago. My M/FIL had a (real) log cabin with a tin roof... and an outhouse. I'll try to find a photo to post. The house, not the outhouse, y'all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you have a roof! :-) And you already know how I feel about metal. LOL Of course, we got ours from different companies, there might be some subtle differences.

Blogger is giving me trouble signing in...grrrr...

Rissa