Friday, September 24, 2004

quiet afternoon

    It seems much later in the day than it actually is when I come straight home from campus after classes. After rising before 6AM, I'm always surprised how much of the day is still left when I get home at 3PM. And today, DH is working on someone's lawn, so it's just me and the cats for a while. Of course, this is serious nap time for the three of them (and often is for me as well but I'm trying to stay awake this afternoon).     I want to say thanks for the few who faithfully stop by and check in on me. I've been neglecting my blog a bit this month, but I hope to be better. As for knitting, I remember thinking about half way through the feather-fan blanket for my new neice that I would be SO glad to finish I'd never bother with the pattern again. Then by the time I finished, I really loved the pattern. So when the massage therapist asked if I'd be interested in trading sessions for a blanket to fit her daughter's toddler bed, I pulled out the pattern, grabbed some yarn and started another one. This one will be 45 x 70; it takes me an hour to do one pattern repeat, so I expect it to take about 75 hours. Nothing I have to rush with as the child won't move to that size bed for a good while. And in fact, this may not be what she wants at all. That's okay too because I'm sure it will not be wasted. I picked up the yarn at a salvage sale, too. It's only Red Heart's baby soft, but it's what a busy mother needs.     I hope to get a little bit of beading done this weekend. I've been threatening a magnetic bead anklet and really would like to get one made soon one, especially if I can work in a couple jinglies and wear it at dance class. I grabbed the magnetic necklace I picked up at WallyWorld last year to wear this morning as it was red & blue (actually, it's a long straight length of beads that sort of wraps to the length you want, be it on your wrist, ankle or neck). I didn't like the way it felt today on my arm (or the green beads in it), so I dropped it down in my pocket -- which just happens to be right where my hip has been hurting... couldn't hurt, right? No, it hasn't. All day. Yeah, yeah -- no scientific proof, yada yada yada. Ah, yes, my hip. Saw the doc on Monday. He took x-rays. Said no real deterioration from arthritis in my hip or back, just inflammation. Gave me a cortisone shot, adjusted my med and sent me on my way. Said should be much better in two weeks. It's better already, but will obviously stay on the med. Also said yoga and dance as well as walking around campus will most certainly be okay and will probably help. And speaking of yoga, am looking for the following so if you have and want to de-stash, let me know:     Yogi Marlon Braccia's Yoga for Absolute Beginners DVD,     and Dolphina's Goddess Workout CD -- the first one, Intro to BD     The fact that I made an A on my first statistics test was somewhat overshadowed this morning by the personality psych test I took the next period. You wouldn't think it was so bad: 5 'short answer' questions -- but in a 50-minute class, that's a lot of writing.     It's not that I can't write for 50 minutes, that's no problem. Only having approximately 10 minutes in which to answer the question is the problem. By the end, I doubt I was writing anything but sentence fragments. Consider the questions, Compare and contrast: (1) Erickson's developmental stages and Marcia's addition to his theory. (2) Freud's developmental stages, zones & modes. (3) 10 defense mechanisms of Freud's Dynamic model. (4) 10 personality disorders of Freud's Dynamic model. (5) Freud's Topographic and Structural models. No way will I make anything better than a C. Could only think of 7 disorders, and though I think I listed 10 defense mechanisms, I don't think I defined/explained them thoroughly enough. I had a thorough short essay written for #5 but could not reproduce it in full and finish on time. I may have reproduced the table/chart he'd illustrated for #2 completely enough for full points. And probably did all right with Erikson's stages, but we were only given Marica's part in the last couple minutes of class Wednesday! I got the gist but not the details. And while I'm whining, it is fair that a Tuesday/Thursday class would have the same test but have at least 15 more minutes in which to take it?? Ah,well... the day did improve, if only for the fact that it is done and nothing will change it. Will try to condense more for next one... or take it with the T/TH class perhaps. Think I'm losing the battle against the nap faerie... will be preparing for comparative religion test on Monday and catching up/reviewing espanol all weekend, so, hasta luego! LC

No comments: