Friday, March 12, 2004

Husbands & Wives, Weddings & Marriages

Lots going on around me, knit and otherwise. First thing to come to my mind this morning was that 27 years ago today I got married -- the first time. Unfortunately, I was divorced three and a half years later. The image in my mind though was this one:

With me is a precious little girl for whom I had been babysitting for years. She is now a grown woman with three children of her own. I haven't seen her in a long time, but stay in touch through the grapevine of parental email and annual Christmas cards. She is, like me, a MoonChild... all starry-eyed and romantic over a big fancy wedding. If only the wedding made the marriage.

I have been spending a fair amount of time helping my sons find scholarships for which to apply. They are finishing up their last semester at community college and now the "big bucks" are required.

Still, I have gotten a fair amount of knitting done lately... and since I finally found the cable for my digital camera (it had fallen behind a lapboard I keep behind the end table by the sofa -- cat's knocked it off... big surprise!), I can post photos again.

Let's see..... I posted on Feb 20 that I had just finished a sock. It was the child's sock pattern from Bernat's Hot Sox wrapper. Here it is:

And on MY foot?

Nope, I don't have tiny feet either; usually a size 7.

When I saw how big the leg/heel/foot part was, I just extended the length so it would fit me. However, it is all frogged now. I didn't really care for the way it felt enough to finish the second one and actually wear them. The fabric stretched too much to be comfortable (if that makes any sense). Will try again with smaller needles. I sure thought I was on gauge, but the yarn is so soft, and my tension was just too loose I guess. I don't know. I was just pleased that I could follow the pattern and actually make a sock!

Now, this hat is something with which I'm rather pleased:

I made it for a dear friend's husband; they celebrated their first anniversary on Feb 15th (my mother's and her grandmother's birthday -- um, two women, not the same woman). I just love him, not only because he's such a great guy, but he has made my friend very happy. We keep them in our prayers.

There are three bands of garter and then a doubled brim. I used a discontinued yarn from Berella called Muskoka. It's a washable, 100% wool -- extremely soft and wonderful to knit, in my opinion. It was the only ball I had; found in a clearance bin at Hobby Lobby. Wonder why it was discontinued?

Ignore that hanging thread; I hadn't woven the end when I took the photo. But, look at that long, curly hair on my dear hubby.... he's got hair most women would kill for. Second time was a charm for us both: 23 years this coming October! And we were married at the county courthouse.

Seems a good place to stop. I'll catch up on posting my other photos later tonight or Sunday. Heading to Jackson tomorrow for our Embroiderer's Guild meeting. I'm teaching Smyrna Cross stitch and continuing our WIP canvas piece, Spring Landscape. I haven't put in a single stitch on mine since last month!

LC

No comments: