Friday, August 12, 2005

25th anniversary

of my divorce... I know. I'm weird.     On other topics, I'm wondering if I should be happy or mad with my father for getting me back into our genealogy research. He asked me (I don't even want to think about how long ago) to gather together what I have for him to send to a cousin of mine. A few weeks ago I downloaded a freeware program from Tucows and started happily creating family tree sheets for him. The other day, I suddenly realized there is no print option with the program. Then I found a family tree template for Excel, so I'm using that now. Plus I added a plain spreadsheet page to do the descendants table.    Of course, along the way, my curiosity has been piqued once again about the unanswered questions and conflicting information re: dates, marriages, etc.. So, I spent a whole day (Wednesday, I think) going through my papers/documents, inputting to the worksheets and nosing around the online sites. Most are terribly unwieldy, in my opinion. And where so much info used to be freely accessible, it seems the more information that is online, the more likely it is that you have to have a subscription to some ad-filled website to access it! I did locate about three likely contacts, but one was a dead address, and neither of the other two have replied.   Knit-wise, I'm finally working on the yoke of my striped top. I have a long ride to Jackson tomorrow, so if I can knit instead of knap, I might actually be very close to finishing it by the time I get back home.    Ahora, va eschucar CDs de espaƱol. Ciao. LC

1 comment:

Susan said...

I got interested in the Tibet project and trip you're planning but scrolled down to your next post about the 25 year anniversary and the family tree search. I can relate to the divorce anniversaries. Unfortunately, I have two of those and so does my current guy. We're bad. Our #2s wouldn't have happened had we not gotten mad at each other. Oh well.
Back to the family tree search. I bought $8 worth of software from the Mormons. Personal Ancestral File 5.2 which included a companion CD with explanation. Their site has info as well. Birth and death dates and locations.
I was wondering, though, where do you find further information? Are you paying for the info? I know that Ancestry.com has a lot of info but they wanted $200. My Mom and sisters thought we could each pitch in $50.
I did discover, though, that my boyfriend in 9th grade is a cousin. Ukk!