Tuesday, September 18, 2007

d-feeting diabetes

 I've managed to lose the weight I picked up in Chicago -- this is a very good thing, though I do miss the Uno's pizza! -- but my sugar is still higher than I would like. Obviously, I'm not eating as well as I should. Nor am I getting enough daily exercise. Sedentary jobs are bad for that.

 In that vein, last night I registered online for the Walk for Diabetes being held here on September 30th. I found out from a co-worker that it is only three miles. I hope I receive more details soon. The logo is so cute (don't try to click-- link coding isn't there), and so is the slogan:


"Everyone's Walking to D-feet Diabetes"

 Even though I *only* have Type II, which is often (and, thankfully, the case for me) easily controlled with diet and exercise, I know that juvenile diabetes and Type I in adults is not so easily controlled, even with medicines and/or insulin... and the side-effect conditions are extremely serious to the point of being fatal. The statistics are alarming, not just the diagnosed cases, but especially the estimation that over 6 million people in the United States are walking around undiagnosed!
 So... forget the low-carb fad. There are much more serious reasons to watch your carbs! Know the symptoms and get your blood sugar checked regularly. The American Diabetes Association website, of course, has lots of information.

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

Cynthia,
thank you for this info. My dad died while in a diabetic coma. He had type2 but it was uncontrolled, even with medication, mostly because he would not adhere to a diet/exercise plan. I wish you the best of luck on your Walk for Diabetes!