Sunday, October 23, 2005

circles of life

    Over the last couple of weeks, I spent a good amount of time researching graduate schools online. I'll need a fully on-line MLIS (Masters of Library Science) program. I'd like one without out-of-state fees. I want it to have a wide selection of elective classes available.     I looked at about a dozen or so, narrowing to a handful within the last week. I know you are supposed to apply to several, but there's always some big "con" (as in list of pro's and con's) for all but one. That one would be Texas Women's University. So, I think -- at least until I have additional information about these things -- I will only apply there and pray for scholarship award and waived out-of-state tuition. If I am not accepted, I think I shall just stay at USM and chance not being getting hired because my graduate work would be from there. The out-of-state fees are just too high to justify (at my age), and the schools with lower tuitions just don't have a program with enough variety to suit me.     As for the circle... TWU appears to be in Denton, TX, and closely affiliated with North Texas State University. This is about 50 miles north of where I lived during the late 70's and where my ex-husband went to college. LC

4 comments:

Rissa said...

Good luck on your journey. :-) BTW, I moved the buddha head to the wooden bookshelves in the living room so we won't forget it next time. LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh good. I need all the help I can get.

Anonymous said...

Why only TWU for the MLS? I went back to school for my MLS in 1997 (in my 40s, by the way), after 10 years of professor-ing. And I went to Indiana Bloomington because that's where I was teaching. Did you mean TWU's online MLS? I know lots of folks doing online MLSs, folks who work here in my library in other capacities.

Anonymous said...

Yes, for the online MLS. There do seem to be several really good programs, but many only take fall admissions, and I will want to begin in the spring. Others are very expensive. Mostly, when I pull up the class schedules for the online MLS, I have found the elective classes to be quite limited, whereas TWU's full program seems to be online. They waive out-of-state fees if you receive a scholarship of $1000 or more. It's not really an 'only' option, I suppose, but the one at the top of the list at this point. :)